The Compliance Officer’s (CO) primary responsibilities will be to identify and assess risk and compliance issues within the MMA businesses. The CO will also share in the design of risk mitigation programs while assisting the business in the prevention of illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
The CO has or will develop subject matter expertise in the EH&B areas and/or has a compliance background. The CO collaborates with other departments (i.e. Legal, Operations, Internal Audit, and Human Resources) to direct compliance issues to appropriate channels for investigation and resolution.
The CO is a trusted advisor to business leadership and to colleagues both in and outside of the Legal, Risk and Compliance department. He or she should demonstrate sound judgment while making consistent, difficult, and sometimes unpopular decisions. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required in order to articulate the basis for judgments. The CO is dedicated to protecting the Company's reputation and supporting its business success by:
- Advancing a culture of integrity and excellence
- Maintaining effective compliance and risk management programs
- Promoting high standards
- Facilitation of the MMC Code of Conduct training and MMA’s E&O Prevention training
- Assisting with the implementation, enforcement and achievement of Risk & Compliance Department goals
- Risk identification: Identifies risk trends in MMA’s employee health and benefits segment and develops mitigation plans/protocols to address
- Participates on appropriate leadership, and/or operating committees
- Provides advice and support to senior operational leadership on the status of compliance, transparency, and overall professional liability performance of colleagues in MMA’s employee health and benefits business. .
- Authorized to investigate and enforce compliance issues at the direction of MMA’s Chief Risk and Compliance Officer (CRCO)
- Has a bachelor’s degree or a legal degree, MBA or other applicable post-graduate coursework
- 8+ years of insurance industry experience; EH&B experience highly desired
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills
- Project Management skills/abilities
- Aptitude and attitude for Compliance, ethical behavior and avoiding conflicts of interest demonstrated by personal integrity and accountability
- Other requirements (licenses, certifications, specialized training): Holds or willing to obtain Life, Accident, Health Insurance license
Reports to: MMA’s Chief Risk & Compliance Officer