Client Manager II - Retirement Services
The Client Manager II applies experience and critical thinking skills to anticipate client needs relating to their retirement plan. The Client Manager II demonstrates the ability to understand and articulate various Retirement Services options for clients. Using technical and industry knowledge and service skills, the Client Manager II meets client needs and resolves difficulties. Client Managers are responsible for retention of existing business within assigned accounts and may occasionally perform in the capacity of a Client Executive Service for specifically assigned accounts to oversee the preparation of and providing renewal and new business presentations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in initial strategy meetings with the client to develop the broad outline of the Retirement Plan as coordinated with the Client Executive.
- Acting in the capacity of the project manager, further refine strategy with the client’s input and as service partner / provider feedback is received.
- Develop marketing strategy for client based on their needs, history and a strong knowledge built over time regarding service providers which can provide the best possible plan designs and fee structures.
- Negotiate with service partners / providers on client’s behalf, making judicious use of expertise to question decisions.
- Manage the client’s annual service schedule.
- Frequently lead the strategic planning and annual review meetings to learn client needs, challenges and concerns.
- Orchestrate the installation of plans, resolving systems compatibility and resolution of issues.
- Assess service provider resources for clients and create an Education Plan for each. Provide these educational resources to clients as well as team members across the Division.
- Establish and consistently maintain effective and positive working relationships with providers, clients and Client Service teams.
- Conduct employee meetings upon client request.
- Develop analytical, customer service and communication skills needed to perform as a Client Executive Service.
- Manage the book with minimal supervision from the Client Executive to include tracking annual review dates and necessary team follow-up throughout the relationship.
- Present to Client Executive the financial measures used to suggest plans to client.
- Utilize best practices to present RFP outcomes to the client and provide recommendations based on the findings with the ultimate goal being to take on these responsibilities.
- Keep Client Executive apprised of potential E&O concerns and client dissatisfaction. Strategize to develop possible resolutions and proactive solutions to avoid continued or future problems.
- Ensure good file maintenance with documentation of account issues and maintenance of our Agency Management Systems.
- Establish and consistently maintain effective and positive working relationships with internal associates and clients.
- Responsible for providing appropriate RFP language related to Retirement Services, in coordination with Corporate Communications, to support new business growth.
- Responsible for Retirement Services Division-wide Projects as defined below.
- Responsible for Retirement Services social media updates upon approval from and in coordination with our Corporation Communications Department.
- Create marketing projects specific to Retirement Services and work with Corporate Communications for approval.
- Working with FINRA and our Broker Dealer to ensure compliance in all SagePoint set ups, the dashboard and our social media and marketing efforts
- Assist with preparations related to upcoming seminars, webinars and events.
Education and/or Experience
Successful candidate will be a service oriented individual with high personal standards and a hands-on work style. This position requires an individual who is comfortable working at a varying pace, managing multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, adjusting priorities often, and managing frequent interruptions.
This position interacts with and provides service to a large group of internal associates and has high levels of contact with external vendors. The Client Manager II must be positive and approachable, and work effectively with diverse personalities. In addition, the following is required unless otherwise noted:
- Must possess a strong understanding of Retirement plan benefits and service providers such that this expertise is recognized by colleagues and clients. This level of expertise is generally acquired through 5-7 years of experience providing group financial planning sales or corporate retirement services while at a brokerage or service provider.
- Bachelor degree strongly preferred plus at least one recognized financial/benefits industry designation.
- FINRA Series 63 & 7(Series 65/66 preferred).
- AIF designation or willingness to achieve within 12 months of date of hire.
- Strong financial analysis technical knowledge and understanding of various investments and group retirement plans, federal and state legislation.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to provide non-technical explanations to technical matters, and summarize and present information in a clear, concise and accurate written and verbal format.
- Maintain a valid unrestricted Life and Disability license in California and meet the continuing education requirements.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint to include work experience creating tables, charts, graphs, pivot tables and formulas.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Ability to use computer keyboard and sit in a stationary position for extended periods. Work is performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Travel to client sites is required. Usually within driving distance, but occasionally consists of 2 – 4 overnight trips out of town per year.
- Extended work hours (10 – 12 hrs/day) required on occasion due to attendance and participation at networking and industry functions that begin well before the workday, and may extend well into the evening.
Click HERE for PDF version.